Friday, November 22, 2013

A Respectable Bird

oil on board 6" x 6"

Here is my Thanksgiving special- not food but a rare $1 auction, with only $5 shipping within the U.S.

The turkey is an odd looking creature, with an almost reptilian head and those crazy jowls below!

As for the title, Ben Franklin came up with that. "For in Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."

3 comments:

  1. I love birds (especially close ups) and this turkey is wonderful...with those colors on the head!! I like the story about the title too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
    NICE Bird....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite abstract, well done! I myself am terrified of turkeys! My earliest memory is being chased in a farmyard by a huge turkey! Well it was bigger than me at the time and all that red wobbly stuff and the beak were at face height!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com