Thursday, May 8, 2014

Manayunk

oil on board 

Here's another older work, a view of the-once-industrial-but-now-trendy Philadelphia neighborhood of Manayunk. I spent at least two months on this, but only two and a half hours at a time, and of course only on sunny days. 

Earning money from one's art is such a tricky thing. I remember exhibiting this painting in a Philadelphia gallery and asking $900 for it. The painting didn't sell, and the gallery owner told me that I was asking too much, considering I was so young and unknown. Yet if it had sold, she would have taken 50%. After the cost of the frame, I would have made $400 for a painting that took 30 or 40 afternoons of work (I sold it later privately).

This is part of the reason I began in 2008 to paint small and finish my work in a day or two and charge low prices that made it easier to find buyers- I simply couldn't afford to support myself as an artist otherwise. But after a few years of this, I'm back to square one. I'd rather spend longer on my work, and make the best paintings I can. So it's back to a steady part time job for me....


6 comments:

  1. That's unfathomable considering the mastery in this piece. I think the price was too low!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I'll miss seeing you in class :)

      Delete
  2. Taryn, what a gift (and inspiration) that you are committing to spend longer on your work. Your small pieces are masterful, but your personal investment in the highest level of your art will introduce us all to another level in ourselves, I think. From another PAFA grad ... I love your work! —Polly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Polly! I so appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  3. absolutely fantastic painting. I'd rather look at 1 of these than 500 daily paintings. But of course there is a living one must make :)
    simon

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com