Sunday, January 7, 2018

Margot on Christmas

oil on board 7" x 9"
purchase

This is my grandniece Margo, with the photo credit going to my nephew Jordan Meeder.

I'm gearing up to teach my limited palette class, and wanted to try the Zorn palette on a portrait. Just using white, black, yellow ocher and cadmium red makes painting seem closer to drawing- the values become more important than getting the exact right color. Every tone leads to just two questions- how light/dark is it, and is it cool or warm?

Here is the original photo.









1 comment:

  1. Amazing likeness.
    The Zorn palette drives me crazy...I have not been able to get the right red or black.
    When I look at his mixtures in life, I think the older manufacturers of colors are quite different than now.. I could not see how much so until I saw a portrait of his in daylight a few years ago. AMAZING!.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com