Thursday, February 15, 2018

After Anders Zorn's "Emma Zorn Reading"

oil on paper mounted on board 10"x15"
purchase

I'm still in the midst of teaching a six week class using the "Zorn Palette", and thought I could learn by copying one his paintings. As in the original, I used just titanium white, ivory black, yellow ocher and cadmium red. 

Anders Zorn's portrait of his wife is 15.8 × 23.9 in, while my copy is much smaller. Zorn's style is often thought of as full of bravura, but I found the soft, internal expression of the woman subtly and lovingly painted.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful. I just discovered Zorn and enjoy his palette and painting. Copying him is a great idea and learning tool. I have to wonder what she's reading...she's so intense!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com