Saturday, March 18, 2017

Tousled Tulips


watercolor and pencil 8"x10"


I've been staring so hard at these four tulips and their swirling surroundings that I'm not able to tell if my painting works or not. I sure did a lot of scrubbing out and repainting, making me wonder why I wasn't using oil paints! Aren't watercolors supposed to be a more spontaneous medium? I'm glad the thick paper took the scrubbing. Perhaps the close up of three tulips is more successful than the whole painting? Will I continue with watercolors or turn back to oils? Questions, questions! 

I do know that I tend to work in cycles; I don't like jumping from one medium to another. 

2 comments:

  1. So nice to see a new post from you! There is a sympathetic chaos, as if coming home with tulips and opening the wrapping in the kitchen and looking for a vase, that is the impression I get after looking at it a while.But it is not a calm picture like one would expect from the color scheme. There is ambivalence between colors and composition? After staring at it some more I think there is something unstable or "tumbling" about the composition, as if it could collapse, and that causes unease. I am not sure but maybe that is why the closeup is so pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leena, thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful and intelligent response to my painting. I feel honored, truly.

      Delete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com